Skip to main content

Know the Signs. Know the Facts. Get Help.

You are here

Overdose Help

Narcan PictureIf you are concerned that a loved one is at risk of overdosing on heroin or a prescription pain medication, consider learning how to use naloxone. Naloxone is the medication used to reverse an opioid overdose. It cannot be used to get high and it is not addictive.

Contact the Washington County Health Department at 240-313-3310 to learn more or register for an upcoming class.

Participants will receive a 2 mg intra-nasal naloxone (Residency restrictions apply for the naloxone)

Remember naloxone can keep someone alive until they are ready to live.

Maryland's Good Samaritan Law

What is a Good Samaritan Law?

Maryland’s Good Samaritan Law protects people assisting in an emergency overdose situation from arrest, as well as prosecution for certain crimes.

Why do I need to know about this law?

The purpose of the law is to encourage any person who experiences or observes a medical emergency caused by the ingestion or use of alcohol or other drugs to seek medical assistance without fear of arrest or prosecution for:

  • Possessing or using a controlled dangerous substance
  • Possessing or using drug paraphernalia
  • Providing alcohol to minors

If you witness a drug or alcohol medical emergency, you will be more likely to call for help and prevent someone from dying. The Good Samaritan Law applies to any person who seeks, provides, or assists with the medical assistance of someone who has overdosed. It also applies to the victims, if they receive assistance because someone else had called to help them.

From what am I immune?

The law protects a person from a violation of probation or parole if you are assisting with medical help to save someone’s life. The law protects a person from criminal arrest, charge or prosecution for the following:

  • 5-601 Possessing or Administering Dangerous Substance
  • 5-619 Drug Paraphernalia
  • 5-620 Controlled Paraphernalia
  • 10-114 Underage Possession of Alcohol
  • 10-116 Obtaining Alcohol for Underage Person
  • 10-117 Furnishing for or allowing underage consumption of alcohol

The law DOES NOT apply to drug felonies or other crimes not listed above and it does not prevent law enforcement from conducting an investigation and gathering evidence.

What can I do?

DHMH logoSpread the word about this law to former substance users, current users and friends or families of users.

Attend a naloxone training. For more information or to register for a training contact Washington County Health Department, Division of Behavioral Health Services at 240-313-3310.

If you think you see someone overdosing, call 911.