- Learn how to recognize the signs and symptoms of substance use and misuse
- Reach out for help to understand what addiction is and how it impacts a person
- Provide support and understanding to the person who is experiencing a substance use disorder
- Don’t make assumptions about the person’s character. Anyone, regardless race, sex, socioeconomics, or education, can have a substance use disorder.
- Learn how to administer naloxone and have it accessible.
- Be non-judgmental – this does not condone the behavior, but may save a life until the person is ready and able to begin their recovery.